Saturday, December 25, 2010

Joyful Yule

Though this is a post regarding Christmas/Yule, I’m not here to talk about it’s decidedly pagan roots - a quick bit of googling will clear that up for you pretty quick if you didn't already know about all that. What I want to talk about today is what was probably the first stress free and completely wonderful Christmases I’ve had in some time.

The days leading up were a little awkward for me - this was my first year sending out my own Christmas cards, and shopping around for gifts on my own. But a white-elephant party with my friends and a family gathering with my boyfriend’s family wrapped up this holiday very nicely for me.

The dinner was fantastic, and so were all the gifts. I got pretty much everything I directly requested, and a few surprises as well.


While my boyfriend - who from now on we’ll call ’A'jm’ - and I don’t make a huge effort to hide my pagan practices from his Christian-background parents, we’re not hugely open about it either. His father hasn’t really ever discussed religion with either of us, and though his mother hasn’t either, she does have a lot of books on Buddhism around the house, as well as various little accouterments from different religions (a tiny wooden Ganesh figure stood watch behind the baby Jesus in this year’s manger scene).

While some of the gifts I got were kind of random, like a mirror-covered jewelry box and a pair of hand-knitted fingerless gloves, others were wonderful little surprises. Not only did I get the peppermint extract that I’ve been wanting, but a new Mortar and Pestle, a book on making talismans and amulets (from his sister) and a brand new tarot deck.

It made me feel really special and awesome to realize that while I don’t openly advertise what I do in regards to religion - usually passing off anything left out in the open as part of a prop or costume I’m working on - I am accepted and cared for. It showed in my gifts and how really great this year’s Christmas was.

The whole thing led me to realize that how I am right now isn't exactly being 'in the broom-closet,' but rather 'in the closet with the door open.' I might be hiding now, but the day will come when both I and the people around me will be ready to accept alternative views and approaches to religion, and I'll feel more comfortable in the open.

The sun will soon start to return, the days will slowly get longer, and we’re encouraged to remember that the night must be at its darkest before the dawn may appear.

I hope that no matter what you’re celebrating this time of year, that it’s been as wonderful for you as it has for me.

At the very least, have a joyful Yule. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment