Friday, November 5, 2010

A year and a day

I’ve met people belonging to all sorts of cultures and following all sorts religions. Conversations on religion typically lead to a declaration of some sort:

“Oh, yeah, I’m a Christian”
“My mom is wiccan”
“I’m agnostic.”
“I’m Muslim, actually.”
“Eh, I’m Jewish but I don’t really, ‘practice.’”
“My parents are Catholics, but I don’t know if I believe-”
“I study Buddhism.”


 Having declared themselves, there's almost always the follow up-

“So what are you?”


That question. How do I answer it? While I agree with most of the teaching of Christ, I don’t consider myself a Christian. Though I study a number of earth religions, I don’t really consider myself a Neopagan or a heathen. I feel like there’s something out there, but I don’t know what - yet I don’t consider myself Agnostic.

As much as it would horrify my staunchly Lutheran mother to hear me say, I suppose right now I lean towards and typically stumble over the title of ‘Eclectic Pagan,’ - someone who pulls aspects and practices from a number of different traditions and religions. Do I really need a title for what I do? Probably not - but if I wanted one, would I have any right to it?

A tradition held by many Wiccans/covens is that someone wishing to be initiated and earn the privilege of calling themselves a Wiccan, is that they study for a year and a day before initiation. This practice appears in other Pagan traditions on occasion, and appears to come from various old - mostly English - European laws and practices. For instance, it used to be that a death was not declared a murder if it took place a year and a day after it’s alleged cause. Couples who lived together for a year and a day, regardless of whether or not they were actually married, could be afforded all the benefits of marriage, and similarly, the tradition of a hand fasting (in the definition of a trial marriage) may be bound together as temporary husband and wife to determine if they wish to commit for life, and may part ways after a year and a day has passed - etc etc etc.

Though someone who decided to follow Christianity may call themselves a Christian, those who are serious about it may go through an adult baptism, or through some form of catechism. They have to study, and be tested to prove their dedication to becoming a member of a church and showing their faith.

I think that spiritual practice with others can be very fulfilling on occasion, but I have no plans to join any sort of group. Nonetheless, I think that I’d feel more comfortable calling myself something if I’m asked if I feel more like I’ve earned it. I guess you might call it a personal catechism. Though finding one’s spirituality is a life long practice, I think the year-and-a-day rule fit’s the bill for what I need to feel comfortable with calling myself a pagan. Though I’ve been searching for a few years now already, I started this blog with the intention of recording my serious study into religion. My first post went up on August 3rd - sort of a funny coincidence, as some year and a day contracts (though typically those related to trial marriages) are started on Lughnasadh, or Lammas, a harvest holiday that takes place during that month.

Come August 4th of 2011, I’ll have been through my first year and a day. Though I plan on seeking spirituality throughout all the days of my life (and I suppose going through many more years and days), I hope that by then I’ll feel like I can actually tell people what I believe in with the knowledge that I really am serious about my path.

I know that when it comes to spirituality, what I call myself isn’t the important part - what does matter is that I find something I can genuinely believe in and stand behind. As much as I want to resist telling people I’m ‘spiritual,’ maybe calling myself something of a ‘spiritualist’ is best for now. After all, it’s true.

No comments:

Post a Comment